Sundays are for Staying in
Have you ever agreed to go somewhere – a party, an event, or some other kind of social activity – then regretted your decision when it was time to go? I love socializing, but sometimes I just want to curl up at home and relax. That’s why Sundays are for staying in.
As an introverted only child, I’ve always enjoyed spending time at home. I need it regularly to recharge. After having kids, we have many nights in. Here are my tips for the perfect night in:
- Try to clear the important items from your to-do list beforehand. I can’t relax or focus if I have important or urgent unfinished items on my to-do list. I pick the 3 most important or urgent items and make sure they’re completed before starting my relaxing evening. Everything else goes on the list for tomorrow.
- Order takeout. Remove the stress of cooking or doing dishes by ordering in.
- Get comfy. Put on some pajamas and comfy socks, and brew some hot tea for some relaxation and pampering. Then snuggle up with a warm blanket on the couch or in bed.
- Turn the lights down. It’s hard to relax with bright lights, so turn off most of the lights and dim the ones you need.
- Rent a movie or read a book. If I’m staying in alone, I love to curl up with a good book. If I’m with my husband, we enjoy watching a movie together. He loves horror movies, and sometimes he convinces me to watch one with him. I don’t enjoy them as much since we had kids, though…is that just me? Now I prefer a comedy or something lighthearted.
- Play a board game. For a more social evening home, board games are fun. You can play with your significant other, family, or friends. The options are endless, whether you want something to get you thinking, laughing, or talking.
- Open a bottle of wine. Perhaps it’s because I live in wine country, but I just love a glass (or two) of wine in the evening after the kids are in bed. So relaxing!
Whether you’re an introvert or an extrovert, an occasional night in is great for recharging. Make time every once in awhile (or often!) and you won’t regret it.
What are your tips and essentials for the perfect night in?