Potato Leek & Cheddar Soup
The cooler fall weather has me craving warm soups. This Potato Leek & Cheddar Soup is perfect for fall. We started with this recipe and made some modifications. It goes great with a crusty baguette.
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large potatoes (about 2 1/4 pounds), peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
- Additional chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Additional grated sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- Melt butter in large, heavy pot over medium heat.
- Add leeks and garlic; sauté until tender but not brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add potatoes and carrots; sauté 5 minutes longer.
- Add chicken broth and parsley; simmer uncovered until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add milk to soup.
- Transfer half of soup to blender and blend until smooth.
- Return soup to pot.
- Add grated sharp cheddar cheese and stir over low heat until melted.
- Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to large serving bowl. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill. Bring to simmer before serving.)
- Garnish soup with chopped fresh parsley and additional grated sharp cheddar cheese, if desired.
What’s your favorite fall soup?