I recently attended a girls’ night out, and everyone made yarn eggs for Easter decorations. I thought it would be such a great craft for kids, and the finished product can become a decoration or ornament. We decided to try making yarn balls.
- Elmer’s glue
- Balloons (the size will determine the size of the balls)
- Yarn (or twine)
1. Blow up the balloons to the desired size and shape (round vs. egg shaped). They don’t all have to be the same size or shape!
2. Mix some glue with a little bit of water (don’t make it too watery).
3. Pull some yarn from the ball of yarn and immerse in the glue/water mixture.
4. Starting with the end, squeeze the yarn a bit to remove excess glue.
5. Wrap the yarn around the balloon in various directions until the balloon is wrapped to your liking.
6. Set aside on wax paper, or hang from a string with paper underneath to catch any drips.
7. Repeat with remaining balloons until you’ve made enough balls.
8. Let the balls dry overnight until fully dry and hard.
9. Pop the balloons and the yarn balls are ready to become decorations!
Sadly, I don’t have any pretty after pictures because ours didn’t come out very well. I think the yarn I used was too thin, or I didn’t use enough glue. Or this just isn’t the sort of thing I’m good at.
I’d love to hear your results if you try it! Have you ever made yarn balls, or anything like them?